Dear Manhattan Sports Acupuncture Community,
After careful consideration, research and examination of the status of COVID-19 pandemic, I feel it is in the best interest of you and for public health to close operations until March 24.
I do not do this lightly as meeting your needs and providing you with care is of the upmost importance to me. I built my business and life around this goal. And it is because of this goal that I feel compelled to make this decision.
Based on what I have read, I believe this is a critical time to stay home. The number of new cases are likely to jump over the coming days and weeks. Given my background in public health, I feel the only responsible thing to do is close. This article in particular was the tipping point for me...
I hope you can understand it is with your health, the health of your family and friends, and the health of our city, state and country that I do this. If you have an appointment between now and March 24th, you should have received a cancellation notice for your appointment. My calendar is currently open beginning March 24th - you can feel free to reschedule at your convince here https://www.manhattansportsacupuncture.com/book-appointment.html or you can email and I’m happy to reschedule you myself.
IN THE MEANTIME...
I highly recommend you consider the following as we move through the coming weeks...
1. Quarantine and Social Distancing: The only 100% effective way for you to prevent catching and passing on COVID-19 is to stay home. The greatest risk we are facing is over running our emergency rooms and hospitals with severe lung conditions. The NYC does not have the capacity to save everyone should this happen. That is what is happening in Italy today. The best goal to aim for now is delaying getting sick for as long as possible.
Do those projects you have been putting off. Read that book that has been sitting on your coffee table. Cook those dishes you have been eyeing for weeks. After two weeks you will know for sure if you are infected or not, and then you can at least operate your life knowing that much.
2. Hand washing and cleaning your home: Yes I know everyone has been talking about this. I have only a few additional words.
Effective. If you do it right, it works. If you don't, it doesn't. If you are going to do it, why not do it right? 20 seconds and rub every part of your hands!
Skin. It must be intact to protect you. Don't let it get too dry, crack or get irritated. That will put you at greater risk. You just need to wash the germs off, and down the drain. You don't have to kill them especially while they are on your hands.
Surfaces: Disinfect surfaces you touch. Door knobs, handles, light switches, power switches. Lysol fabrics you touch. Couches, chairs, pillows, rugs. Change your sheets. Basically, do your spring cleaning!
3. Don't get too stressed out about it! Stress can wear an immune system down and make you more susceptible. Review the issues you are concerned about, make a plan that addresses those concerns, and then stick to your plan. Know that sticking to your plan is reassurance that you are doing what you are supposed to.
I AM STILL HERE FOR YOU...
During this period, I will be available for online consultations and herbal prescriptions. Based on my research of COVID-19, I believe it is critical to stay on top any illness at this time - even people outside groups at high risk for complications and death. Don't just let it run it's course. Reports have come out with cases of reinfection, on-going lung damage among recovered patients, and detailed descriptions of the course of disease.
Chinese herbal medicine can mitigate and lessen the severity of any illness including COVID-19. Many of the healthcare workers in China were using both Western and traditional Chinese medicine to maintain their heath while working. It is critical to treat any illness at this time immediately and aggressively. I feel so strongly about this, during this COVID-19 emergency I will order prescriptions at cost and reduce my consultation fee to $100. However, if you are experiencing any severe symptoms, especially breathing issues - please call your doctor immediately.
I can also provide prescriptions of preventative, immune-boosting formulas as well. Please contact me to schedule a consultation via email at edd@ManhattanSportsAcupuncture.com or via text message at 347-948-3533
If you have an questions or issues you want to discuss, please feel free to contact me. My closure is no reason to panic. It is my way of protecting you and trying to mitigate the number of new critical cases of COVID-19.
I thank you for your understanding. I will keep you posted as things develop.
Edd Lee LAc LMT MSOM
Your health and wellness is the business of Manhattan Sports Acupuncture and I take that responsibility seriously. In light of the current public concern about COVID-19, the sub-strain of coronavirus that is spreading through the country at this time, I want to take the time to reassure you of my commitment to your health and safety.
Given the current situation, I have instituted policies and procedures to minimize the impact of COVID-19, at least within the walls of Manhattan Sports Acupuncture. Please read the following.
1. At this time, I ask all patients who are sick to refrain from coming in for treatment.
Because COVID-19 has such a long incubation period, the best way to reduce the spread of it or any illness is to self-quarantine. Please remember, even if you have a fairly mild illness, you could pass your illness on to someone who could become seriously ill or even die, especially if they are elderly or have a pre-existing lung or immune condition.
If you believe you may have COVID-19, DO NOT just go to the doctor. Call your doctor so they can make arrangements for medical personnel to be prepared to receive you.
2. Please inform me ASAP if you have fallen sick, especially if you have tested positive for the COVID-19 virus.
I want to make sure I know who is sick and how everyone is doing. This will also help me to assess the status of COVID-19 within the Manhattan Sports Acupuncture community. Of course your privacy will be respected and any information you provide me is strictly confidential. Also, if you have a confirmed case of COVID-19, please follow any and all quarantine instructions.
3. When you arrive, please take a moment to wash your hands in the bathrooms before you come into the suite. Use a paper towel to close the bathroom door and to open my office door.
Washing hands and surfaces is your best strategy to protect yourself. However, you don't need to try to kill the germs on your hands. You just need to wash them off, so a gentle soap will work great. Anything harsher that causes dry, cracked skin will actually increase your risk by damaging your body's first layer of defense - your skin. Use lotion and care for the skin on your hands too. Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds to ensure you remove all germs - that is the amount of time it takes to sing the Happy Birthday song twice.
4. Please do not be alarmed when you see me wearing a N95 mask and a face shield. This does not mean I am sick, it means I am working to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (and the flu, common colds, etc) from passing to me, and eventually onto you.
Again, because COVID-19 has such a long incubation period, it is possible to be exposed to it by people who look and feel completely healthy.
Please do not take this as a sign that you should get a N95 mask too. There is a current shortage of masks available and these need to be prioritized for medical professionals who see a high volume of patients in close quarters. The CDC does not recommend N95 masks for the general public at this time. I have been affected by this personally, it has been very difficult for me to acquire a mask as a medical professional.
3. As you all know and can hear during your appointments, I wash my hands before and after each treatment. In addition to my regular office and treatment room cleaning; doors handles, chairs, coat trees, face cradles and counter/table tops are all now disinfected between every treatment.
Again, hand washing and surface disinfection is the best strategy to prevent the spread of COVID-19. At this time there is not much data that shows the virus floats around in the air for very long, so surfaces, hands and exposure to respiratory droplets from an infected person are the modes of transmission. I am committed to ensuring Manhattan Sports Acupuncture is a safe space and have thus implemented greater disinfection processes.
4. I will be suspending tea and snacks at this time. You can always let me if you really want your tea or snack and I am happy to provide.
The fewer the things you put inside your body in public means the fewer the opportunities for pathogens to get inside of you too.
At this time, the CDC and NY Department of Public Health both encourage people in the US not to take any drastic actions or make massive changes to their daily routines. However, experts have suggested that social distancing at this time may help reduce your chances of being exposed to COVID-19.
I will continue to update my blog page as things develop and send out emails when warranted.
I don't want anyone to panic, just stay safe and informed. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me.
Edd Lee, LAc LMT MSOM
Blog & newsletter for Manhattan Sports Acupuncture and Edd Lee LAc LMT MSOM. Striving to be a source of information on health, fitness and medicine. Check out the FB feed below or like our page @ManhattanSportsAcupuncture